VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:15:07 -0400
Hello Lisa and other interested parties:

You mention both DSL and satellite in your posting. I am confused that you
would be using both for an internet connection. Perhaps the DSL is for your
computer and satellite is for your TV?  Now you can have a internet
connection using a satellite but it wouldn't be connected to your phone.

  I would be surprised if Verizon would come out to run a fiber optic line
your house. . The vast majority of people wouldn't have this because the
cost would be too high. Fiber optic
cables are used for trunk lines and smaller lines are branched off from the
trunk to your house and computer. You may want to talk with a supervisor at
Verizon to make sure it is indeed a fiber optic line they will bring to your
house?

The type of connection whether it be dial up, DSL, cable, or satellite would
have no effect on your adaptive equipment whether it be hardware or
software. With the different connections you have, you would see a change in
download speed and monthly charges.

If Verizon can do it faster and cheaper than your current provider than go
for it.

Safe computing to you.