VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sun Sounds of Arizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sun Sounds of Arizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:18:55 -0700
I have run into at least three things which can cause this sort of thing.
In my opinion, it is much more of a problem on the newer XP machines than it
was on the older 98 machines.

1.  Screen refresh clutter as you edit, read, move around and change things:
To fix this, refresh the screen by pressing insert + Escape.

2.  Color Depth:  All the new computers are using 32 bit color depth and
high resolution.  Sometimes, JAWS can't seem to "see" everything that's
displayed that way.  The fix is to change the display to 255 (8 bit) color
depth which is what JAWS recommends anyway.  You can also reduce the
resolution which can make the screen more useful to those who can see.  High
Resolution makes the icons and print rather tiny sometimes.

3.  Window Size:  Sometimes, if the window is in its "restore" mode instead
of the "maximize" mode, parts of lines can bee cut off or masked.  The fix
is to make sure both the document and application settings are maximized.

These are solutions which I have found helpful.  However, I'd be interest in
what others have to say as this stuff is really tedious to deal with.

Bill