VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:52:26 -0500
Tony,

Usually, this problem is best handled with microphone placement.  It is
generally best to be somewhat close to the microphone when speaking.  it is
also best to record some distance away from the sound to be avoided to
minimize its impact on the recording.  it has been said that it is not easy
to turn a pig's ear into a silk purse.

to boost the volume of an existing recording, there are a couple of
different approaches.  One is to
normalize to peak values.  In the message below you said you normalized the
recording but nothing was said about the settings used.  Normalizing to peak
values ensures that an even volume is obtained at the highest possible
volume level.  another tool is the wave hammer.  this brings the highest
peak value in a recording to the highest possible volume level.  It
preserves the dynamic range so  a normalization should be done first on
original recordings.

for the hum, do you have the noise reduction plug-in?  this can help reduce
background noise substantially.  After noise reduction has been applied,
consider equalization and filtering.  This process actually removes certain
frequencies entirely and could boost others.  the end result often is a much
more listenable sound, but the settings chosen can also produce an
unimpressive outcome so be sure to create a backup.  for an excellent
article on this topic see:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/restoration/audio/soundforge/soundforge.htm

the article includes a package of pre-sets that can be downloaded and
installed.  I have used these pre-sets and have had good results in removing
tape hiss and significantly reducing high pitched hum from a video card I
picked up when I recorded the audio from a kiosk.

Kelly