VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Aman Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aman Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 11:11:28 -0400
Hi.
        I have both with Kurzweil.
        First, I would not buy the Dectalk Access 32 from Kurzweil, not
because I don't think them a good company, I do and like their product very
much, but because GWMicro
        http://www.gwmicro.com
is selling the same product for $75.
        Secondly, I always use Dectalk, but think this is a matter for
personal preference. I think it's noticeably superior to Flextalk and worth
the $75 (I don't even know, now, if Kurzweil comes with Flextalk any more, I
know it comes with Neospeech, which is a very human sounding voice, as well
as IBM's Viavoice, which sounds very much like the Eloquence Jaws uses),
but, again, what I think is neither here nor there. It's what you think that
counts and I would, if at all possible, try to get a listen to both synths.
        As for why you would use a second kind of speech, I do so because I
like one for prolonged and sustained reading and another for my screen
reader. I've never gotten used to Eloquence reading text for very long
periods, and don't like dectalk reading the screen. Again, this is a matter
of your preference. You don't need to use another kind of speech if you
don't want to, Kurzweil will work fine with the engines that come with it.
        Aman