VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jody W Ianuzzi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jody W Ianuzzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 20:47:55 -0400
Hi all,

I am just venting about the powers that be in relation to JAWS.  My husband
and I have a computer consulting company.  We have worked out of our house
for years and now we are moving to an office.  I have used JAWS 4.5 Standard
with my Windows XP Home for three years now.  Anyway, we moved into our
office and I went to install JAWS.  First I had a real problem because the
new machine doesn't have a floppy disk drive and I had a devil of a time
setting it up so that I could use the darn Authorization Key.  Then I
discovered that JAWS Standard will not work on a Windows XP Pro system.  I
called Freedom and found out it will cost us $440 to upgrade.

When I groaned at the price the tech support guy asked if my employer was
willing to buy adaptive equipment for me.  I said 'yes, he is, but it is too
expensive.'  He said 'well, the company can afford it.'  I explained that I
was the company and no we couldn't afford it.

Over the years I have been disgusted by the price of adaptive technology.
Yes, we are a limited market and the R&D on adaptive equipment is high with
a small market.  Yeah, right.  That is why you can charge $2000 for a $50
closed circuit TV because it is packaged for the disabled.  It is the third
party pay that is killing it.  Who questions the cost when it isn't the
consumer.  The medical profession learned that one a long time ago, just
charge the insurance company, the patient will never know.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent my frustration, but I can't help but think of
the 70%+ unemployed blind people and wonder what the real reason is, maybe
it is because the cost of work is too high.

JODY

"WE MUST BE THE CHANGE WE WISH
TO SEE IN THE WORLD"  ~ Gandhi