VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Seymour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Seymour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 20:31:14 -0700
To All,

As many of you may know, I've been doing research about upgrading
my entire computer system, including the software and the
transition costs. I have spoken by phone with several of you for the past
several months, and
I've come across some interesting and informative differences of
opinion.

Now, I'm looking to resolve a few of the remaining questions for
which there don't seem to be many strong opinions at all. And
because I am being pressed to make my final hardware decisions
early next week, the sooner you help me, the better.

1. The Sound Card

Typically, a laptop (don't know about a desktop) comes with a
built-in sound card. When I ask about which brand I should
purchase, the answers range from a few preferences for Audigy
Platinum as the high-end sound card, to
Sound Blaster or Turtle Beach.

Others have said that the brand doesn't matter, just make sure it
is a multi-channel card that can handle speech and audio
simultaneously.
(By the way, is an "Integrated" sound card the same thing as a
"built-in" sound card?)

I love great sound quality, and I plan on using my computer to
record, edit and process audio. So this really matters to me.

2. Which Laptop has the Best Sound System?

This isn't something that is mentioned as often as I would hope
or expect, especially on a list like this.

3. What about the Video Card?

Nobody has mentioned a brand for that, but a few sources have
specified that it should have 32 megabytes.

4. External and PORTABLE Keyboards and Number Pads

Are there any opinions out there as to which brands and/or types
are the best, especially with regard to convenient use of Jaws?

Any and all feedback (not the audio type) will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter Seymour