VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stan Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:24:15 -0400
Michael:

MS Word tables are read the same way as an HTML/Web table.  In both cases,
however, the tables have to be properly constructed.

In HTML tables, JAWS will read a simple table with the top row used as the
column headings and the first column as the headings for each row by
default... assuming that the table was coded properly.

In MS Word, you also have to have the JAWS verbosity settings set to read
tables, to read both row and column titles, and determine which column and
row are to be used for the headings or titles.  Once again the way the table
is constructed or made has to be proper.

To get to the verbosity settings while in a Word document, press insert and
"V"; this will bring up the list of settings that you can change.

In MS Word, you can construct a table in more than one way.  On the Table
menu, you can draw a table -- this won't get you a table where JAWS will
read the cell data and associate it with the row and column names.  Some
people still construct tables by using tabs between each element just as was
done with typewriters -- this will give you a table that is readable by JAWS
but there won't be any associations here either.  The MS Word Table menu has
an option titled, "insert" -- if a simple table is constructed using this
option, JAWS should be able to read the cell data and associate the data
with the row and column headings.

In Both HTML and Word tables, you navigate among cells by holding down the
control and alt keys while using the arrow keys to move through the table --
check the JAWS help for more navigation keystrokes.

Stan