C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:06:50 -0600
Kathy Jo,

A personal futures plan, or person centered plan, is (or should be)
broader than a personal services plan.  A PFP includes what you want out
of life, and how you and the others involved in your life will go about
achieving that.  It can include things like:

1. Where you want to live
2. What you want to do (either for pay, or as a volunteer, or just for
fun),
3. The types of things you want to do for fun, and how to do those
things -        getting there, any assistive technology you might need
to do them,     etc.
4. What you want to do educationally
5. Who you want involved in providing personal services, if needed.
6. The people involved in your life, who don't necessarily provide
services        (friends, relatives, etc.)
7. How you're going to do things like cooking, cleaning, or the people
to      help you with those things.

A PFP should be built around what you want.  You'll need to make room
for realities like paying bills, cleaning the house, etc, but those are
the things that make it so you get to decide for yourself. A PFP can
include other things, too.  Check out some of the sources in that
bibliography I sent.

I mentioned Partners in Policymaking to you, and when I went through
Partners, everyone in the class put together a PFP.  Here are some of
the things mine included, and how they've worked out.

1. Where you want to live.

                In my own house, with a yard, so I can have a dog.
Janet and I bought a house four years ago that is completely wheelchair
accessible.  We'd been renting it for the same amount as the mortgage
payment, taxes and insurance, and the landlord said that since he wasn't
making a profit, he'd sell it.  He'd allowed us to have a dog, and Janet
wanted a cat, so we've got two of those.  They are our kids, since we
haven't been able to have kids of our own.

2. What you want to do (either for pay, or as a volunteer),
        I'd always wanted to work in the disabilities field, and had
pretty  much done that since I graduated from college.  I'm still doing
that,   and have "hit my stride" in my field.

3. What you want to do educationally.
        I've got my Bachelor's degree, and am going to go back to get my
Master's degree soon.  I was talking with a co-worker the other day,
who said "Get on it! I want you to help teach some of the courses
we're designing in disability studies!"

4. The types of things you want to do for fun, and how to do those
things -        getting there, any assistive technology you might need
to do them,     etc.

        Janet and I both love to ski, and to do things with our
families.  For  skiing, we go to ski areas that have programs for people
with    disabilities, as the equipment is too expensive to buy, and we
need    people who are experienced with it to help us out.

        As far as doing         things with our families, that's easier
because         they've been around one of us for our entire lives.  One
thing that      was really cool that happened this summer is that
Janet's parents,        with the help of her brothers and their
families, and a financial       contribution from us, built a new deck
that included a ramp, so I can  get into their house easily.  It's also
a lot easier for Janet, and on  the 4th of July, they had a neighborhood
barbecue, and almost everyone   used the ramp, to the surprise of one of
Janet's sisters-in-law.

4. Who you want involved in providing personal services, if needed.

        We're getting to the point that some household upkeep tasks are
almost  impossible for us, so we've got a couple of really good friends
who     help us out with some of that stuff.  (Changing light bulbs,
putting         screens on windows or taking them off..., etc.)  We
hired a cleaning        lady, and that really helps.

5. The people you want involved in your life, who don't necessarily
provide services (friends, relatives, Church, etc.)

        We're both active in our Church, have friends from work, and
from    school (We've both been out a while, but people who were once
professors, students with us, or University staff, we now count as
good friends).  We've got friends that we go to visit, even though
they're getting pretty spread out now.  We went to visit friends in
New Mexico a year ago, and my brother and his family in Pennsylvania
over Christmas.

6. How you're going to do things like cooking, cleaning, or the things
or people to help you with those things.

        Our house is completely accessible, so "how" is easier now than
it was  in our apartment when we first got married (the kitchen was so
small   that Janet and I couldn't both be in there at the same time.
The     "things" to make life easier we've finally found most of.  It
helps   that Janet and I started dating when we both worked for our
state   assistive technology project, so we had access to (or were) the
best    minds in the state on the subject.  We also had good connections
around the country for things that kicked our butts.  That's how I met
Linda Rowley from the Waismann Center.

Kendall Corbett
Coordinator of Consumer Activities
Wyoming INstitute for Disabilities - WIND
College of Health Sciences
University of Wyoming
1000 E. University Avenue, Dept. 4298
Laramie, WY  82070