From:
Richard Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Dec 2005 02:38:06 000

k2lkk wrote:
   >The problem that I have with the legal system in the United States
   >is that we are making so many laws that we should probably just
   >arrest everybody, because sooner or later you'll break one
   >somewhere.
DItto, but we seem to be more interested in legislating
common sense than teaching it.  IF we weere spending half as
much effort teaching it then folks would knowthat any
distraction while driving is potentially fatal?  SPill that
order of big fries?  Pull to the side of the road. DRopped
your smoke?  IT ain't gonna start the carpet on fire in
enough time for you to get to the side of the road and find
that butt!

That's one reason I like syntehsized pseech for memories
etc. on ham rigs.  Anything which lalows the driver to keep
his/her attention on the other drivers and the road is a
good thing imho.
NOw if only we had common sense and intelligence tests
mandatory before issuing that driving privelege <g>.

When my kids were learning to drive my parents ended up
being primary teachers.  tHey and I stressed that the
operation of the vehicle is your first and primary
responsibility.  EVerything else, bs'ing with friends,
eating your snack, it's all secondary or tertiary.  DRiving
comes first.  DOn't just drive yours, drive his and hers
too.  Keep adequate distance between you and the vehicle in
front of you depending on speed, a car length or better for
every 5 mph.  expect those around you to do the stupidest
thing imaginable and be ready to react to it.  Anticipate
likely problems before they occur and be ready to react
accordingly.

GOod defensive driving is a skill that some never quite
master, and all these gadgets and distractions just make it
worse for them.
Btw the only bumper sticker I will allow on my van says
"Hang up and drive!"  THe other permutation of it I've seen
is, "you're driving a car not a phone booth."

Btw when my xyl must operate the vhf/uhf rig etc. while
driving she pulls to the side of the raod.  I can't even get
her to carry on an extended conversation with me while
driving.  IF she calls me it's to alert me that she's coming
home with groceries or to be ready to go she's en route.
WE're rather picky about that between us.
HER daughter just got a new cell phone and we reminded her
in no uncertain terms that while driving the appropriate
position for it is off.  OTherwise she might endanger her
children.

Richard WEbb,
Electric SPider Productions,
Eads Tennessee