From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:00:41 -0400
Hi.

Looking through some old messages that needed to be cleaned out of my In
box, I realized that I never did pass along what I found with the GAP
Titan.  It turned out that when we got the antenna down where we could look
at it, it was quickly obvious that it wasn't a lightning related
problem.  The problem was that the weather cap had been knocked off the
antenna at some point in time and when the antenna is used for transmission
while the capacitor in the top of the antenna is wet, it usually flashes
over and destroys the capacitor.  I ended up replacing the capacitor and
then used a 35 mm film can to make a temporary weather cap.  I know that
I'll have to fashion something else because the film cans will break down
quickly with UV light exposure.  Too bad because the film can was just the
right diameter.  Does anyone have any good ideas for sealing this thing up
once and for all?

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK