VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:54:16 -0800
7bit
From:
Tim Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Peter,
 Yes "My Space" is accessible except for the registration process. In order
to set up an account they ask users to print the text from one of those
graphic number generators that isn't compatible with screen readers. (or at
least they did when I signed up) You might need someone to read the number
for you but all of the other functions in "My Space after that point seem to
be easily navigated using Jaws. I set a page up for my band using Jaws at
http://myspace.com/radioaltar
You can get pretty crazy with customizing the colors and layout of the page
but I haven't investigated to see how accessible this process is. I would
guess it is pretty easy using Jaws and its formatting description commands.
All of these websites adopting the graphical verification images need to
find some other way of verifying their new account users. Kudos to Yahoo for
giving people an alternative form of registration but a lot of smaller sites
don't seem to offer this optional registration method. Whoever out there is
leading the charge on internet accessibility should definitely put these
graphical verification methods near the top of their things to make
accessible list. Is there a way to get around these type of registration
methods using adaptive technology that I'm not aware of?
Tim