AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2007 15:50:47 -0500
From:
"Peter W. Vakunta" <[log in to unmask]>
inline

                AFRICA FEST 2007 - AUGUST 11, 2007 at WARNER PARK

"Chieftaincy has practically been bastardized these days[...] Now you even have armed robbers, corrupt politicians and all sorts of people beings chiefs."

One of the cankers that Africans have to combat in order to see meaningful progress is the sacralization of  traditional authority. More often than not, abuse of political power in Africa goes unpunished because Africans tend to revere political leaders. This attitude has a cultural genesis. In Africa, traditional rulers or the so-called natural leaders are viewed as untouchables because they are perceived as intermediaries between the living and the dead. In other words, sultans, fons, chiefs, kings, lamidos to name but a few are not seen as a mere mortals. Rather, they are s regarded as immortals ‘sitting on the stool’ of the ancestors wielding unquestionable power over their subjects. In many parts of Africa, the sacralization of traditional authority has been transferred to the political arena. The end result of this is that abuse of office and the dereliction of duty go unpunished. As a consequence, single-party politics, no-party ‘democracies’ (the case of Uganda) and
the proliferation of ‘presidents for life’ ( the case of late Kamuzu Banda of Malawi) have become the norm rather than the exception in Africa. The author of the cited article has rightly pointed out that " In the world in general they respect people with titles. If you are nobody ,people tend to look down on you -- place you in the back seats." The trouble with this kind of mentality is that it pushes us to see the tree for the forest.Late President Kwame Nkrumah of Ghana explified this attitude. He adopted the title of ‘Osagyefor’ meaning ‘savior’ or ‘redeemer’ and actually publicly approved of being treated as a supernatural ruler according to historical records. Late President Ahmadou Ahidjo of Cameroon adopted the same posture. He loved being  addressed “ Père de la Nation” ( father of the nation). Cameroonians who lived under his regime know only too well that he fathered nothing political skeletons . Africans need to come up with a new vision of political leadership an
d power-sharing in order to ensure good governance. It is the opinion of this writer that multi-party politics and democratic principles will remain window-dressing in Africa if we continue to turn a blind eye to wanton abuse of office and corrupt practices.

PETER W.VAKUNTA
DEPARTMENT OF FRENCH AND ITALIAN
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN MADISON
602 VAN HISE HALL
1220 LINDEN DRIVE
MADISON WI 53706-1525
U.S.A
Office  608 262 4067
Home    608 442 6089
Cell    608 381 0407

"The day will come when history will speak... Africa will write its own history... it will be a history of glory and dignity." - Patrice Lumumba