From:
Samantha Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Samantha Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 13:59:51 -0800

We had the WORST experience at Thaifoon in Newport Beach, CA.  We had been told they had a gf menu, which they did.  We sat down to order, reviewing all the necessary substitutions.  Some items said avoid products with whey.  Now this was a gf menu, not a gf/cf menu.  I got a manager to see what that issue was and to also review our intended selections.  He checked back with the chef and said what I had questioned was fine.  We ordered the fried rice, letting our server know we needed the gf tamari substitution sauce.  We got fried rice with egg and veggies but no sauce and an attitude when we sent it back.  We ordered a chicken with a substituted curry sauce and we explained as we ordered plain chicken - not the marinated one.  It looked battered so again I called the manager.  The chef had dipped it in flour since it wasn't marinated!  It is nice that places are trying to accomodate our needs, but it is horrible that we actually ate some of it. We had eaten a whole order of some
 peanut chicken also and who knows what we ate. When a restaurant has a gf menu, you assume it will be safe, especially after asking the manager lots of questions before ordering and having him check with the kitchen.  I recommended they remove the menu until their kitchen staff was properly trained.  It would have been easier to walk into a random restaurant without any knowledge of the gf requirements, and explained exactly what I wanted/needed.  I strongly recommend avoiding this place!  Samantha

 Yahoo! Personals