From:
Pamela Aronson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Aronson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 19:30:13 -0500

I have copied all of the responses I got for the GF wedding cake
suggestion. Thank you to everyone for your ideas, advice, and feedback! It
was great. I will let you know what I decide and how it goes...

I am in Chattanooga, not TOO far from Atlanta...anyway, I have a flyer
at home from a local bakery that does gluten free cakes.  I know nothing
about them, the name was just passed along to me by someone, but I will
send you the # from home and you can check them out!

if the place you are having the wedding is willing to do it flourless
you can have them make a little wedding cake for you and any other
celiacs and a regular one for others which would possibly be cheaper.
my husband who didnt know he was celiac at the time but his mom knew
she was we had themmake a little cake for her and one for the rest of
the guests. a flousless entire wedding cake if you are going for the
stacked kind would be very heavy I think. Last time I made one it was
very very dense and was fine as a stand alone.

I was married two weeks ago.  We had a gluten free & a regular cake from a
professional cake maker.
The guests (non-celiacs) prefered the gluten free cake, hands down.

The cake was Namaste Chocolate Cake.  The Namaste mixes are more expensive
than the others out there, but they make the moistest, tastiest product I
have tasted in 35 years.

Try Ritts Bakery in Philadelphia. They will ship the cakes (you will have
to get them frosted to your liking).

If you have any friends who are experienced bakers or can afford to hire
one, ask them to make a g-f cake exactly to your specifications. In the
Gluten Free Gourmet makes Dessert there is an amazing cake recipe (Ultimate
White Cake) that is superb and that I'm seriously considering using as for
my wedding cake. Also keep in mind that 'flourless' cakes may contain some
flour. Or if you are sure of your baking skills, ask the hotel if you can
bring them the cake base and have their pastry chef take care of the icing.
Remember, it's your wedding cake and it should be exactly what you want and
can eat to.
Good luck!
We too are planning a wedding for my non celiac daughter, my Celiac
daughter is the maid of honor and of course I am also a celiac.  The date
is Oct. 1.  Mr. Ritts will ship cake rounds that can be frozen ahead and
then iced later if you can find someone to do that for you.  I am a long
way from Atlanta so hopefully there is someone closer who could help you
more.  I don’t know how far Mr. Ritts will ship.  He told us of some people
who have gone to Philadelphia and bought the cakes and brought them back
home with them.  We have opted for some of Mr. Ritts fancy cakes for a
separate GF table at the reception and gone with the regular cake for
everyone else.
   Our Lemon Cake Mix is often used for wedding cakes. In fact I sent 3 of
our Lemon Cake Mixes today UPS 3-Day Select because they were out at the
store and they needed to bake the cake next Thursday. . At least you are 2
months ahead of the game! If you would like a sample, I am more than happy
for you to try a sample. Our Lemon Cake Mix has been served at the annual
meeting of the Celiac Disease Foundation in Los Angeles and the Gluten
Intolerant Group in Seattle. Let me know if you are interested.

All the best on your upcoming marriage!

Mr. Ritt's bakery in Philadelphia will send cake blanks. Then you can have
them decorated in Atlanta with a GF frosting.
I have dealt with Mr. Ritt's for years and find them most accommodating.
www.mrritts.com

tell them they can also use their own recipe but to use cornstarch in place
of cake flour.  ...cup for cup....this is a hint from Julia Child and I
have been doing this for years