Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:19:41 -0400

Thanks all you helpful non wheat eating people!  Although no one had a quickbread recipe that they use for bread, I got lots of other suggestions and some promising recipes.  Several people suggested that I just use baking powder and/or baking soda instead of yeast.  I think the ratio is 1 tsp of baking powder for 2 cups of flour.  Several people suggested corn tortillas but I stay away from lots of corn as we have corn allergies in several family members-although I do use small amounts.  Several people suggested that I use lettuce leaves to roll coldcuts in and several said that they use pancakes  for sandwiches.  Others recommended rice cakes which my son immediately rejected.  Several recommended the Kinnikinnick yeast free bread and mix which I will look into.  Here are some of the replies:

I don't know where you are in Mass. so I can't recommend a store. I cannot eat yeast breads so I adapt most recipes based on yeast by adding baking powder and baking soda and substituting yogurt for some of the liquid.
If you can locate a store that stocks Alta products(the US brand name; it is Kinnikinnick in Canada), there is an excellent yeast free bread mix and I also use the Sunflower Flax seed mix as substitute as above. They also have the Candadi Yeast Free Bread already made which looks like a multi grain bread. As far as I know, they do not have nuts.
You must use Xantham Gum in any bread or it will not hold together. Have you tried Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Bread and Baking Mix and use the subtitutions?

go to these recipe websites http://allrecipes.com or http://www.recipezaar.com.
I've found some great gluten free  recipes there and you can create your own recipe collection with notes. You can read the reviews and decide whether to make it or not or follow their suggested changes.

Have you tried making thin pancake of whatever flour you can use (tapioca?), spray a little oil on the griddle, make very thin batter pancakes.  We have done that when we want tortillas.

I have tried numerous recipes using baking powder and baking soda and
buttermilk.  None were useful for a sandwich. Finally I ordered
Kinnikinnick yeast free flax rice bread. I find that I can make toasted
cheese and other sandwiches but the bread itself either has to be buttered
on one side and pan toasted ( like a grilled cheese ) or for a soft
bread  it has to be lightly microwaved and then used for a bun or for a
sandwich. The Irish soda bread type can be used for a breakfast bread but
it needs some sugar. I also make muffins for breakfast.

Have used baking powder in most of Bette Hagman's recipes and done ok. Use at least 1 teaspoon per 2 cups of GF flour. You may have to experiment a bit with the amount. Good luck,

Why not use corn tortillas as a bread?  I do.  And I also use rice cakes, especially the flavored ones for making cute little sandwiches with a cream cheese base.

I have a DD who is GFYFDF, and also egg-free as well as corn-free.  For
sandwiches, the best we've found is a homemade biscuit-type bread (no yeast
of course), made as free-form biscuits.  If from a mix, we like Pamela's
Products Amazing Bread Mix.  This is a very new product & not yet in all the
stores.  Ck the website & email the company if necessary.  They're very responsive.

If baking from scratch, you need to add a fair amt of xanthan gum or other
binders so that the biscuits don't crumble to bits when you bite into the sandwich.

 Ener-G Foods has a sliced sandwich bread GFYF that may be acceptable.  IME,
this product looked good, handled good, did not crumble, but tasted like
plastic.  A no-go for us.  Kinnikinnick Foods has a GFYF bread that is IMO
better, but homemade stuff is the best.

Since your DS can do eggs, you should have a bit more freedom to use a
variety of recipes.  For example, it may be that you can find a quick bread
that will bake as a loaf, slice easily & be sturdy enough to use for
sandwiches.  But every GF quick bread recipe I've made is tender -- not
tough enough for making sandwiches.  The rest of our family is GF or  GFDF.
If you find a 'sturdy quick bread' for sandwiches, I hope you will share the
post!

Wraps can easily be made, esp. w/egg allowed.  Make a thin eggy crepe
batter, fry up a dozen at once,  stack between wax paper when cool, and
freeze flat.  It's easy to layer in sand meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, then
roll & wrap securely for the lunch.  Wraps are popular w/older kids & teens.
Eating them may take a little practice for a younger child (holding the roll
firmly & peeling down the wrap paper as you nibble down the roll.)  BTW, do
the final wrapping in wax paper or plastic wrap on 'the bias' or diagonal --
it peels better.  Depending on circumstances, you may need to put the
wrapped roll inside a plastic container as well.

Sorry I don't have an exact answer to your question, but maybe something
above will be useful for you.  Good luck.

This may sound strange, but I've recently started using pancakes for sandwich bread and rice milk for the liquid. I make the batter thinner or thicker, depending on how thick I want the "bread." I make 12-14 pancakes at a time, cool them, then freeze 4 per freezer bag. I let them thaw at room temp and they're great for sandwiches - though they're round and not square. If I want pancakes for breakfast, I pop two in the toaster or microwave.

Do you have "The Gluten-Free Kitchen" cookbook by Roben Ryberg? It has bread
recipes made with corn starch and potato starch, and the author says the yeast
is optional in her breads, as they all have other sources of leavening. I've
used several recipes in the book for sandwish bread, however I did use yeast

Betty Hagman has yeast free recipes in her bread book.  You don't really need yeast to get the bread to rise, baking soda and baking powder do work.

try Kinnikinnick for ready made yeast free bread and/or their yeast free mix.

www.goglutenfree.com or www.kinnikinnick.com

www.ener-g.com (Energy, in Seattle, WA) also makes a yeast free rice bread

this is no big deal.  do a search in allrecipes.com or epicurious.com or the
foodnetwork for quicky breads...just leave out nuts and you can use
cornstarch in place of flour or any other gf flours.just leat it cool
completely before slicing and store in frig

Try to find the Noah's Bread recipe (may be at gfcfrecipes forum on
yahoogroups, if you can't find with google).

Have you tried a wrap -- meat, cheese, let & tomato rolled up
in a large lettuce leaf?

My kids take sandwiches on corncakes (not rice cakes which don't work for
sandwiches, but corncakes which work much better - particularly if you let
them get a little stale and then use a moist-spread on them and let it sit a
bit).

I still would love a recipe that could be made as a quick bread or loaf if anyone has one that they have sucessfully used.

I will send some of the recipes in another e-mail.

Thanks!

Itchi in MassANa