From:
Carrie Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carrie Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2005 09:31:37 -0500

I had a lot of requests for a summary - looks like a lot of you are going
to SF this week!  I received a couple responses, (thank you very much to
everyone who sent in suggestions):

Sushi Chardonnay
1785 Union Street
between Gough & Octavia
(415) 346-5070.

One of my favorite is ALMA. It specializes in Central American Foods and
the last time that I was there, it had only had one item on the menu that
used wheat. They have the reputation of  knowing "gluten-free".
    Alma
    The Chef: Johnny Alamilla, Chef/Owner
    1101 Valencia Street
    San Francisco, CA 94110
    Phone: 415-401-8959

    My favorite breakfast restaurant is Roxanne's.
    560 Powell
    415-989-5555

In the past 5 years of being Gluten-free my very favorite dining out
experience has been at the Matterhorn Swiss Restaurant located at
2323 Van Ness Avenue.  Andrew and Brigitte Thorpe are Swiss and were
wonderful
in  accommodating my special needs. (Brigitte has some type of severe
food allergy and understands the importance of being careful.) I called
ahead, said when I was coming and was told to order the sliced veal,
grilled
lamb chops or tiger prawns and to ask for Bridgette.  Andrew thickened the
veal sauce with cornstarch, added a large side of rousti (shredded fried
potatoes) and petite green beans.  I had chocolate/vanilla mousse for
dessert in a beautiful presentation.  The number was 415-885-6116.  I
have not been able to fly out to return since 2002 so I hope it is still
there.

If anyone would like to add to this, please let me know!  Looks like there
is high-demand for SF GF eating!

Thanks everybody!
Carrie