From:
Joanne Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joanne Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:20:16 -0400

A while back I posted looking for information on obtaining Gluten Free items
in the Clemson, SC area.  I received many responses with some great advice
for the college freshman as well as stores in the area where she can
purchase food.  I have just summarized the responses that relate to stores
in the area that carry Gluten Free food.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to reply to me, it was greatly
appreciated.

*******************
There is an Earth Fare grocery store off of I 85 the Pelham Rd. exit. They
have just added a new GF freezer section and they have GF bread. It is about
3o min. from Clemson, but there is construction so it might be closer to a
40 minute drive.. The store will order anything special she wants and they
have a salad and a hot food bar that is really good

The town of Clemson doesn't have any place to purchase gluten free food, BUT
the next town/city of Anderson does.  It's about a 20 minute drive.  The
name of the store is "Nature's Cupboard".  The phone # is 225-7199 and they
could give directions.  They carry a very large assortment of items for
Celiacs from frozen foods, pasta, cereals and dried goods.  I've found them
to be very good and if I need something they don't have, they are happy to
order it.

I live in Spartanburg SC which is about an hour from Clemson.  Greenville,
which is between Clemson and Spartanburg on I-85, has two Earth Fares which
is a wonderful health Food Store.  Also Whole Foods is coming soon.  There
is an Earth Fare on Pelham Rd. and Augusta Rd.  The one on Pelham is right
off of I-85.  This would only be a 40 minute drive for your daughter.   The
Earth Fare on Pelham carries alot of GF items and baked goods. They have
hamburger buns, apple pies and carry Mrs. Leeper's quick meals which are GF.
  My friend Sam Mitchell works there as the Community Relations Director and
her daughter has Celiac.  She has started a wonderful support group that
meets there every other month.

The Publix store on Clemson Blvd. in Anderson has an assortment of gluten
free foods.  There are a few health food stores in the immediate area
(Clemson, Seneca, Anderson) and a Garner's Natural Market and Earthfare in
Greenville that carry gluten free products.

There is a Gluten-free/Wheat-free Support Group of the Upstate which meets
(I think) in Greenville.  The contact would be Sam Mitchell
<[log in to unmask]>.  Also Mayor Abernathy, the mayor of Clemson
has a gluten intolerance which causes him to go into anaphylaxis when he
eats wheat.