From:
Bev Messner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bev Messner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:53:10 -0500

I want to thank all of you who answered about these beers.  I received about
3 dozen answers.   I have the feeling Bard's Tale won the taste test, but
below are some of the answers I received.

Bev
Mansfield, OH

Yes, I tried the beer from Ramapo's beer. It is too sweet for my taste. But
the worst part was the terrible digestive distress it caused. I believe it
is GF, just that some other ingredient in it doesn't agree with me. It has a
honey base, so I think that may be it....

I didn't like the Ramapo Valley.  It actually made me feel nauseated  It was
a very strange taste- kind of like a combination of seltzer and watered down
ginger ale.  I am looking forward to trying Bard's Tale.

I've had both Bards Tale and the Ramapo Valley....I wouldn't drink Ramapo
again even if it were the only "beer" available to us w/Celiac
Disease....now Bards Tale ...thats a real beer!  no comparison.

Ramapo Valley beer left a pretty nasty after taste... it was not worth it to
me.  I did learn recently that Negra Modelo is GF.  It's a mexican beer made
of corn.  I've been drinking it for a few months with no problems!

I've tried the Ramapo Valley beer and it doesn't compare at all to the
Bard's Tale. Bard's Tale tastes like real beer.  I had the Ramapo Valler
beer about a year or so ago and it was pretty terrible. Too sweet, not
really beer-like.

I've tried the Ramapo Valley beer.  It's really good.  I was pretty
impressed, and so was my husband (not celiac), who is more of an
"expert" on the subject than myself. ;-)

I, too, really like Bards Tale Gold  As for the Rampapo Valley, it was too
sweet for me, but my husband prefer Rampapo over the Bards because he said
Bards was too bitter for him.

I let friends and family taste both and everyone likes at least one of them.
 Not a bad response from Beer drinkers !!!!

We've had both, stick with the Bard's Tale it is much better.

I personally prefer the Bard's Tale. I have tried both and feel that the
Bard's Tale really tastes like many other microbrews.  Two of my non-celiac
friends couldn't distinguish it from regular beer. I thought that was a good
test. The Ramapo Valley GF beer is not bad, it just is not quite to my taste
and seems less like gluten/barley based beer. I also noticed on the Bard's
Tale website that they will have another type of GF beer coming out soon.

I tried Ramapo when it first came out and found it too sweet, but maybe
they've improved it. La Messagere from Canada is pretty good but not
available in the States as far as I know.

I liked them both. Ramapo is more of a cider tasting beer, where Bards
tastes more like a Sam Adams type of beer.

I have tried the Ramapo Valley beer. It did taste like beer, but it is quite
sweet. I guess it should, though, as it is made from honey. Like
old-fashioned mead, I guess.

I enjoy the Ramapoo Valley gf beer especially on a hot summer night!
My first impression was that it tasted sweet (they use honey) then the rest
of the bottle tasted like beer!

I love Ramapo Valley. Buy it by the case.

Ramapo Valley is made from honey, it's fairly sweet and tart. More like a
specialty ale than a beer.

About a year ago I ordered the GF beer from Ramapo Valley.  You had to order
by the case.  It took five or six months to finish the entire case.  If you
like beer to be sweet then you will probably like it but it is much too
sweet for my taste.

I have only had the Rampo Valley Honey Beer and it is not too bad. Our local
P.F. Changs stocks it.

I like the RamapoValley beer very much. I've heard some on this list think
it has too much honey in it, but that doesn't bother me. I also noticed that
since the last time I bought it, they increased the alcohol content.

I bought a case of the Ramapo Valley Beer and didn't care for it all.  It
tasted sweet and left a very odd aftertaste.

I have tried both. I would stick with the Bard's Tale. The Ramapo Valley
beer is very sweet and has an even sweeter after taste.

The Ramapo Valley beer is made from honey, so it is pretty sweet.  If you
don't try to compare it to beer, it is pretty good.