From:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask] 9509 12639 97 44_The Sprue-nik Press, Sep. 1995 (Part 3 of 9)9_Jim [log in to unmask], 30 Sep 1995 23:50:03 EST138_- <<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your situation.>>

Summaries from the Baltimore Confeine
of dried soups, chilis, etc. named Taste Adventure products. They were
favorably mentioned here a while ago. [...]40_27May199523:17:[log in to unmask] 9505 10162 66 34_Celiacs With Neurological Problems11_James [log in to unmask], 27 May 1995 22:25:00 EST649_- <<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your situation.>>

About 10 days ago, I wrote:

JL> I am posting this message for the benefit of someone in my local
JL> support group. She is in her fifties, was an undiagnosed celiac for
JL> most of her life, but was diagnosed and has been GF for about seven
JL> years.
JL>
JL> In the last year or so she has been experiencing neurological
JL> problems: unsteady gait, weakness of hands and limbs, and muscle
JL> spasms...
JL>
JL> If you have or had neurological symptoms such as I described
JL> [...]42_27May199522:25:[log in to unmask] 9505 10229 13 42_Re: Newman's own Salad dressing is NOT [log in to unmask], 28 May 1995 00:42:52 -0400583_- <<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your situation.>>

It has been stated numerous times on the net that distilled alcohol from
wheat and vinegar made from it are not going to contain gluten peptides that
might be harmful to celiac patients. This is scientific evidence that has
been provided repeatedly by Don Kasarda, who is a chemist with the USDA. I
feel that is is not at all helpful or responsible to post messages like this
because it propagates information that doesn't have a shred of scientific
evidence for it.38_28May199500:42:[log in to unmask] 9505 10243 18 21_Re: gf bread [log in to unmask], 28 May 1995 00:43:01 -0400614_- <<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your situation.>>

I have a National Bread Bakery, which I bought about 7 years ago. I always
follow Hagman's recipe...I think the same one you mentioned, and most
recently the Sour Dough Bread. The consistency is always like cookie dough,
and however strange it always looks going in, it always comes out the same.
Baked through to the middle and crusty brown on top. The only time I've
ever had a problem is when I've used White Rice Flour from an Asian Grocery
store, because it is ground much finer and the [...]38_28May199500:43:[log in to unmask] 9505 10262 15 31_Trader Joe's - Product [log in to unmask], 28 May 1995 00:43:05 -0400693_- <<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your situation.>>

Trader Joe's markets in California has recently introduced frozen Gnocchi
potato dumplings. The ingredients listed are: potato flakes, whole eggs,
butter, salt & water. I tasted them and was so convinced that they had flour
in them that I called their corporate office, and sure enough, they were
mislabeled. They are still selling them with the incorrect label, but have
supposedly posted signs in all of their frozen food areas above the product
apologizing to their customers and listing the correct ingredients as potato
flakes, enriched flour, etc. (the sign [...]38_28May199500:43:[log in to unmask] 9505 10278 26 37_Re: Celiac Disease Foundation Meeting10_Bill [log in to unmask], 28 May 1995 01:31:56 EDT462_- <<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your situation.>>

In Bory
Date:
Sat, 27 May 1995 19:51:54 -0400

I use a Breadman model TR-400

I've found the proportions in The Gluten Free Gourmet (which are about the
same as you give) to produce a very wet finished loaf.  As it cools, the loaf
oozes and leaves a wet spot.  I have reduced the amount of water called for
by about 1/4 to 3/8 cup.

I have also found the step of adding the sugar and yeast to lukewarm water
and letting it brew while you measure all the other ingredients to be
essential to getting good yeast action.

The consistency of the dough should be like thick mashed potatoes.  The ratio
of dry to wet ingredients will probably need to be adjusted in very dry or
humid climates.

I tried using half GF flour mix and half buckwheat flour, it makes a somewhat
lighter loaf that tastes like Rye bread.

I wish we could find a way to make the bread a little lighter.
Mine is like sourdough wheat bread and is tough when a few days old.  And if
it does not rise enough it's like a hockey puck.

Ted Hodge in Bedford,Texas