From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:14:31 -0800
  Common wireless network connections are known to suffer interference from
(some) cordless phones and microwave ovens.  There's a good possibility that
they will also experience and/or cause interference with cardiac monitors
and other sensitive medical equipment....
  Many hospitals don't permit cell phone use for this reason.  It will be a
pleasant surprise if they permit a wireless network connection.

  Wireless networking has a lot in common with toy walkie-talkies.
Specifically, (a) just one doesn't provide much fun, you need at least one
more, and (b) there are a limited number of channels, and you might wind up
talking to somebody else by mistake if they're in range.
  (a) means that having wireless in his laptop doesn't do much unless you
have somewhere to connect another wireless -- typically an access point or
router "base station" -- within range of his room; i.e., probably within the
hospital.
  (b) raises another issue.  Some hospitals already have wireless network
coverage *for use by their own staff*.  This will have been carefully
checked out for interference -- it may not be on a frequency used by
consumer wireless devices.  And since it will carry sensitive patient
information, it's probably locked down to make it as difficult as possible
for random visitors to connect to.  [They could be in federal trouble under
HIPAA if it's not....]

  The people who can give you a definitive answer will be the hospital.  And
I've listed some reasons why, unless they have already put significant
effort into providing wireless networking for patient and visitor use, they
are very likely to say no.

David Gillett