From:
"Everyone @ As If Productions" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:38:10 -0600
At 12:52 PM 2/10/06 -0500, Greg Davis wrote:
>I recently received an email from Mercola.com about metabolic typing
>(figuring out how your personal genetics are suited for carb,protein,fat
>consumption).   I know some of you on this list have referred to that site
>in the past so I'm wondering if anyone has any personal experience with
>the concept and whether or not its worthwhile.  Or maybe theres a cheaper
>resource for figuring this stuff out.  Personally since I went paleo I
>just don't even count my carbs or calories, as long as I stick to proper
>foods.  Anyone have any experience applying 'metabolic typing' to their diet?

I'm a Mercola fan.  I think a lot of people on this list would enjoy his
approach.  His blog is one of the most valuable feeds I subscribed to as
part of my research for GettingPrimitive.com (I'll use my pimp sig below,
you are all invited)  He's a little spammy at times, but he has a huge
amount of real nutritional data (as opposed to the corporate PR that passes
for nutritional data in most places).  He quotes people like Mary Enig and
Weston Price.  And I like his attitude.

Anyway, Metabolic Typing makes a LOT of sense, and it's a good idea to
consider it when planning to feed more than one person.  My wife and I, for
example, are distinctly different metabolic types.  She is a carb processor
who doesn't like much meat and can spend months as a vegetarian with no ill
effects.  I am a protein and fat processor who thinks nothing can be called
a meal unless there's meat involved.  It's good to keep these facts in mind
when planning meals.  However (in my opinion and experience) most of the
observations made by the metabolic typing test simply confirm observations
you can easily make yourself with a little discipline and a notebook.

- Tod

GettingPrimitive.com - A Natural Inquiry
the new web joint from as if productions
http://www.gettingprimitive.com