Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:48:37 -0800
Jim:

I'd love a Word doc.  Also, I have a friend at work who's recent medical exam came back with extremely high cholestoral and triglyceride levels. Would you mind if I gave him a copy of the word doc when I get it?

Thanks.

Alyne

Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I am going to attempt to send the guide I created for friends and family. Not sure how it will convert from Word format to text, especially the "eat and don't eat" table. Email me directly if you'd like me to send you a copy of the Word doc...

"Humans evolved during the Paleolithic period, from approximately 2.6 million years ago to 10,000 years ago. Although the human genome has remained largely unchanged... our diet and lifestyle have become progressively more divergent from those of our ancient ancestors.... All of the food consumed daily by our ancient ancestors had to be foraged or hunted from wild plants and animals in their natural world."
from "Cardiovascular Disease Resulting From a Diet and Lifestyle at Odds With Our Paleolithic Genome" O'Keefe and Cordain (2004)

I. INTRODUCTION

I first heard about the "paleo" or "hunter-gatherer" diet from my good friend and fishing buddy Sam Johnson while on a trip to Yellowstone National Park in the fall of 1999. After the trip, Sam picked me up a copy of Ray Audette's Neanderthin and I was on my way.

Before I started this new way of eating, my weight was ok, I guess. Not awful, but nowhere near where I wanted it to be. I had frequent sinus infections, sore joints, maddening apthous ulcers, inattention, depression, poor skin, gassiness, bloating, seasonal allergies, and a lipid profile that pointed to future cardiovascular problems. In other words, I was miserable and unhealthy. But all that changed.

When I stepped on the scale this morning, I was 26 pounds lighter than the day I started this diet. Haven't had a sinus infection in almost six years. Joints feel great. Apthous ulcers, allergies, bloating, inattention? Gone. And here's my lipid profile from my January 2005 checkup:

LDL "Bad" Cholesterol: 94 (normal range 0-99)
HDL "Good" Cholesterol: 90 (normal range 40-59; higher the better)
Triglycerides: 42 (normal range 0-149)

This diet works because it is humanity's natural diet. Try it.

II. GUIDELINES

Ø Eat whole, natural, fresh (and, if possible, organic) foods; avoid highly processed foods

Ø Consume only that which, in theory, would be edible in its raw and unprocessed state

Ø Increase consumption of omega-3 fatty acids from fish, fish oil, and plant sources

Ø Contrary to popular wisdom, dietary fats are the foundation of humanity's traditional diet. There's a reason we love the stuff! Aim to increase your consumption of fat. But avoid trans-fats entirely and limit (but don't worry about eliminating) your intake of saturated fat. Substitute monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats whenever possible. Incorporate plenty of olive, almond, and hazelnut oils. Canola oil is ok in moderation. Avoid trans-fat laden margarine like the plague.

Ø Consume lean protein from whole, natural, fresh, unprocessed animal sources. Ideally you should limit the amount of protein, as the excess is simply converted to glucose by a process known as gluconeogenesis. To determine your protein intake, simply divide your ideal weight in half. That number, in grams, should be roughly divided across your daily meals.

Ø Avoid processed, high-salt meats, especially those with nitrates and nitrites. Uncured, nitrate-free bacon is fine and can be found in most higher end grocery and whole foods stores.

Ø Completely eliminate wheat, barley, and rye. Avoidance of these grains is the very cornerstone of this diet. Oats may be ok occasionally -- especially if they have not been processed on the same equipment as wheat, barley, or rye. Same with corn and rice, occasional consumption may be ok. The gluten in grains is for me the cause of the bloating, gassiness, allergies, inattention, and mouth ulcers. Grains also contain anti-nutrients and are almost 100% carbohydrate. Mankind never consumed grass seeds in nature. Neither should you.

Ø Carbohydrates, simple or complex, are inessential to human health. It is true that a small amount of glucose is necessary for brain function, but it can be created in more than sufficient quantities from non-carbohydrate food sources. Before agriculture, humans spent the majority of the year in the fat-as-primary-fuel state known as ketosis. Only during certain months of the year were wild fruits and honey available. And, again, grains were never consumed.

Ø 99% of the liquid you consume should be water. Green tea if you must have caffeine. Coffee is ok in moderation, a cup or two a week if you must. (Coffee is a highly processed burnt berry which is inedible raw). While alcohol was not consumed prior to the agricultural revolution, wine is ok in moderation. Avoid beer, whiskey and any other grain-based alcoholic beverages.

Ø Eat nuts in moderation. Almonds, pecans, walnuts, macadamia and other nuts edible raw. Avoid peanuts. They are a legume, not a nut.

Ø Avoid legumes as they contain harmful lectins. There's a reason why beans give you gas! Although it might ruin the plot to "Blazing Saddles", flatulence is not a normal or healthy response to food.

Ø Avoid dairy. In nature, humans only consume human milk for the first few months or couple of years of life. Never do they consume the milk of a wild animal. Dairy contains two harmful substances: lactose (milk sugar) and casein (milk protein.) And there is no need to be concerned with calcium intake as there is plenty of calcium in both meat and leafy green vegetables. Think about this: Wolves have a similar diet in nature to ours (which is why over time they became dogs, man's best friend). How on earth do wolves survive in the wild without their yogurt? How do Asians survive?

III. SUMMARY: WHAT TO EAT and WHAT TO AVOID

EAT WHY
Quality fats: plenty of monounsaturated and polyunsatured fats; saturated fats in moderation Good fats are the foundation of humanity's natural diet
Protein from fresh, whole (and, if possible, organic) animal sources. The second of the three macronutrients, protein is essential to human health. Grass fed beef is excellent and contains omega-3s
Vegetables: spinach, greens, broccoli, cauliflower Low carbohydrate, high in fiber and essential minerals
Nuts: almonds, pecans, walnuts, macadamia and others edible raw Excellent sources of quality fats and minerals. Consume in moderation if weight loss is desired due to moderate carb content
Low glycemic fruits: berries, pears, plums High fiber, low sugar foods more effectively mimic fruits found in nature

AVOID WHY
All grains, except for possibly oats, corn, and rice on occasion Contain gluten, a substance that causes myriad health problems. Also very high in carbohydrate and have antinutrient components
Dairy Dairy contains lactose, casein and other harmful components
Carbohydrates The third of the macronutrients, dietary carbohydrates are inessential to human health and are responsible for many "Syndrome X" diseases such as obesity, hypertension, insulin resistance
Legumes Beans contain lectins and phytates that are intended to repel consumption. Cooking only partially negates these harmful substances. Peanuts are legumes not nuts and are to be avoided. Chocolate is also a bean.
Nuts not edible raw Contain harmful substances intended to repel consumption
Potatoes Inedible raw, potatoes are nearly 100% carbohydrate

IV. SAMPLE DAILY MENU:

Breakfast
3 slices uncured bacon
3 eggs cooked in almond oil
1 cup green tea

Lunch
1 grilled chicken breast, sliced
Salad greens
Olive oil, lemon juice

Snack
Handful or two of almonds

Dinner
Grilled swordfish steak
Steamed asparagus
Cup of blueberries
Glass or two of wine

V. EXERCISE

There is not a little debate on the type of exercise our bodies were built for. I believe that -- for men at least, who were primarily responsible for the hunting part of the hunter-gatherer equation -- our bodies are designed for periods of high intensity two or three times a week followed by periods of rest. I follow Arthur Jones' high intensity weight training protocol and work out Mondays and Thursdays for about 20 minutes total per workout. Despite the fact that I'm "only" lifting weights, I do it at such a high level of intensity -- with little time between exercises -- that my cardiovascular system is taxed at higher levels than if I were doing "aerobic" activities such as running or swimming. I believe this more effectively mimics the type and frequency of exercise that ancient man engaged in. I find it fun that I am a weight lifter and am in excellent cardiovascular shape, a seeming contradiction to the overwhelming majority of fitness gurus.

V. FOR MORE INFORMATION

Diet
Protein Power Lifeplan by Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades

The Rosedale Diet by Dr. Ron Rosedale

Neanderthin by Ray Audette

The Paleo Diet by Dr. Loren Cordain

Paleofood email list (http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/paleofood.html)

Beyond Vegetarianism website (http://www.beyondveg.com/cat/paleodiet/index.shtml)

Grass fed beef, delicious and high in CLA and omega-3 and relatively low in saturated fat, can be purchased at www.grasslandbeef.com

Exercise
The New High Intensity Training by Dr. Ellington Darden

Living Longer Stronger by Dr. Ellington Darden

For a pretty good explanation of Arthur Jones' ideas on exercise, see Greg Anderson's article at http://www.baye.com/articles/baye012.html

VI. TWO FINAL COMMENTS

1) While you will be better off in the long run following a low carb diet, it may be helpful when beginning to know that you will get 99% of the benefits even if you ignore the carbohydrate aspect. Simply stick to healthy fats, protein, and approved nuts, vegetables, and fruit. So don't worry at first about eating higher carb fruits, including dried fruits such as raisins, figs, dates, and apricots, and the occasional honey in your tea. You'll still lose quite a bit of weight and will eliminate autoimmune- and allergy-based issues . Then when you plateau, weight-wise, incorporate the low carb part.

2) A good friend at work has a husband who went to the doctor in January of this year with triglycerides at 500+ and cholesterol at 280. In nine weeks on this diet, he's lost more than 25 pounds. His blood test came back today and his cholesterol is down to 188, within normal range. His triglycerides were 124! His numbers will only continue to improve.