From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 23:12:44 +0000
On Feb 08, 2005, at 2:42 pm, Michael Raiti wrote:
> When I cook goose or duck I poke many times with a fork.  As it cooks
> the fat is released.  The meat comes out somewhat lean but tender.
> When I pour off the fat there must be about 2 cups worth.

Lol- this is exactly what I try to avoid!  I eat duck because it is so
high in fat, and I don't want to waste a drop!  I've got cooking duck
legs down to an art now, so they are just done through but very little
fat has been released.  Some runs out, but I cook my veg in the same
pot and that soaks some up.  The rest becomes a sort of sauce.  I heard
a rumour that if you have a whole duck, plunging it in boiling water
tightens the skin and retains even more of the fat.

Ashley