NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lea Dooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 09:48:41 +0700
I had almost forgotten about this one - Indian restaurants as a rule should
be COMPLETELY avoided.  Ghee is clarified butter (Hindi word for butter) but
is NOT viewed as a dairy product but as a separate ingredient.  Do not make
the mistake of thinking Indian vegetarians are dairy free that is only an
very small religious group in the South and not well known as terms of
Indian restaurants (particularly in America).  I travel frequently in India
and have learned to carry 10 epipens and eat canned tuna for the duration!
Yogurt is only one small portion of this regional good group.  Expect Ghee
to be drizzled over everything especially bread before reaching your table.

Lea Spring Dooley
HIV AIDS Program Advisor
CARE Cambodia
tel: 855 23 215 267
H/P: 855 12 678 513

We seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has
been overcome and people live in dignity and security.  CARE International
will be a global force and a partner of choice within a worldwide movement
dedicated to ending poverty.  We will be known everywhere for our unshakable
commitment to the dignity of people.

Please note new address