VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jul 2005 21:30:47 -0500
Jodi,

it sounds like these are great questions to ask in a call to Kurtzweil next
week.

I would suggest though that you consider your goals in this project.  if you
want really great scanning results, then a serious consideration of an
upgrade should occur.  Scanning systems have improved tremendously in the
past five years and the results have been impressive.  Depending on what
scanning engine is in your version of K1000, you could jump from having
several scanning errors on a page to a single scanning error every few
pages.

further, the cheapest scanner may not be the most accurate.  My scanner at
home is much better than the one at work, which was the cheapest scanner
they could purchase.  I would say that my results are about 15 percent
better at home than at work using the same scanning software.

even if you decide not to spring for the upgrade, realize that most windows
programs produced before XP can work on XP systems, though check with
Kurtzweil on this issue.

using windows 98 on the second machine may not be such a bad idea.  It
avoids the now familiar phone in ritual to Microsoft known as system
activation, which is required on XP machines.  yes, bargains can be had with
used and reconditioned computers and those purchased without an operating
system.  On the other hand, don't overlook new computers sold as last year's
models, open box machines and the like.  These can be great bargains too.
with a somewhat new machine you could get modern features, like a CD burner,
a big Hard drive, and extra memory, for little more than what the used
machines sell for.

also many people use K1000 and Open Book on computer systems with screen
readers installed.  Realize that these scanning systems are self-voicing
programs by default.  Most have success when they use the software in this
way.  yes, it is possible to use your screen reader instead of the
self-voicing module.  However, when I have heard about people's digital mess
and a scanning system, it often involved tinkering with the self-voicing
aspect and their screen reader.

Kelly