VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:25:45 -0500
Harvey,

Your question reminds me of the Pacmate discussion we had here a few weeks
ago.  Products themselves usually can't be judged whether they are good or
bad.  A particular product needs to be judged with all the other options
available to realize if it is a spectacular solution for a given person's
need.

the big feature of these products is that they offer portability in
refreshable Braille.  if one is not a Braille reader or can live without it
while away from home or the office, then a laptop is a far less expensive
mobile computing solution.  From our pacmate discussion, it was determined
that four laptops with wireless Internet access could be purchased for the
least expensive packMate, which did not offer a Braille display and had
speech output.  I would not be surprised if the ratio were similar with
these products.

of course, if one had a blank check from Uncle Sugar, then of course buy the
world.

Kelly