VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 00:15:20 -0500
Signoff by e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Realizing you expressed a question about Outloook Express I hope this
Komando tipp of the day for Monday, November 13, 2006  will be of use to
you.

Fixing a bloated Outlook file
Q I use Outlook 2000 and am getting an error when I try to open it. I found
out that Outlook will not allow my PST file to get bigger than two
gigabytes. I can no longer access my data because my file is too large.
Microsoft has an Oversized PST tool that truncates your file. Is there an
alternative? I've looked everywhere on the Web and can't find out what to
do. I use Outlook for my job. Please help.

A Ouch! That's gotta hurt.

Many people are not aware of limits on file size in Outlook. In versions
prior to Outlook 2003, PST files could only be two gigabytes.

Outlook stores everything-e-mail, Contacts, drafts, etc-in its PST file. It
does not warn you when you're approaching your limit.

In Outlook 2003, Microsoft upped the limit to a roomy 20 gigabytes.

Microsoft's Oversized PST tool works, but it deletes data. When it gets to
this point, many people are willing to lose some data. I suppose it's better
than losing it all!

When you crop an Outlook file, you'll lose the newest data first. This might
be workable. You may be able to recover some e-mail from your server.

I know of no other solution to your problem. I did extensive research. There
are many programs that claim to compress Outlook files. But none
specifically say they can recover data once you cross the two gigabyte
limit. If you buy one of these programs, you're on your own.

You can download the Oversized PST and OST crop tool from Microsoft. The
instructions are somewhat complicated. However, they're covered on
Microsoft's site. Just make sure you back up your PST file before you begin!

Next, run the Inbox Repair tool. To find it, click Start>>Search. Enter
scanpst.exe in the search box. Double-click it to run it. Click Browse to
locate your Outlook PST file. Click Start. It will find and hopefully repair
any errors in the file.

Obviously, it is much easier to prevent this problem in the first place. So,
if you use an earlier version of Outlook, take action now. Your best bet is
to archive your e-mail, which moves it to another file. But before you do
that, clean things up.

First, remove obsolete entries in your Contacts list. Look for completed
tasks and notes that are no longer needed. These are the types of things
that tend to accumulate.

Look for old appointments that can be deleted. Remove drafts and empty your
Junk e-mail folder.

Then it's time to get to the nitty gritty: deleting old e-mail. Jokes are
good ones to get the boot. So are old receipts and quick notes to and from
friends. Got spam? That definitely should go. Empty your Deleted Items
folder.

Finally, you're ready to set up AutoArchive. Click Tools>>Options. Open the
Other tab and click AutoArchive. You can specify your options for archiving
your Outlook data.

You should set it to run at least once a month. I have mine set to run every
two weeks. Click OK>>OK when you're done setting your options.

Outlook is slow to release reclaimed space. But you can do it quickly by
compacting the  PST file. Click File>>Data File Management. Select your
Outlook data file and click Settings. Click Compact Now. Click OK and Close.

For more help with Outlook, read these tips:

  a.. Stop addresses from appearing in Outlook's To field

  b.. Relocating an Outlook file

  c.. Mail merge and Outlook