From:
D Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:03:10 -0700
At 08:42 10/29/2005, David wrote:
>   Between a computer an a router, GENERICALLY, you'd need a crossover; these
>are "alike" devices.  But many home/office routers incorporate a small
>network switch on the LAN side (these are any which include more than one
>LAN port), and so these use straight through cables instead.  Many modern
>small switches, and routers which include switches, have now added circuitry
>which will sense whether a straight through cable or crossover is being
>used, and internally cross/recross the port as necessary to make it work.
>(This is a handy feature in small networks, and can be a deadly menace in
>large ones....)

Thank you, David, this is fascinating!

Is it likely, then, that many times when a LAN isn't working, one of
the first things to check would be the patch cable to make sure it's
the correct type of wiring for your topography?

Also, many routers come with instructions stating to be sure to use
"the yellow cable" here and "the blue cable" there and don't mix them
up.  Would that be because the cables are straight on one and
cross-over on the other and the instructions don't tell you that
detail, just do as we say?  It seems that if they gave a simple
explanation, people wouldn't feel so computer-naive/vulnerable/inept.

Diane

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads