From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Oct 2005 08:12:14 -0700
On 28 Oct 2005 at 16:18, Richard Glazier wrote:

> I just looked at a new Ethernet cable. I put all the gold pins up
> and ends facing away from me, with the plugs side by side.
> I noticed all the wires in BOTH plugs matched color for
> color left to right. This would be a straight through cable...
> If the "inner ones" switched around on one plug, it would be a
> crossover cable. This assumes a factory made them and did it
> correctly. I am not listing the "proper colors" here because special
> crimpers are needed to install the plugs and that info should come
> with the crimper.
>                               Hope this helps.  Rick Glazier

  In fact, there are a couple of different standards for which colour goes
on which pin -- and any of them can work as long as both ends follow the
*same* standard.
  In a crossover, a couple of the inner wires are swapped with a couple of
outer ones.  It won't take much close examination to recognize that they're
different!

David Gillett

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads