From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 04:13:02 -0500
Compaq parts tend to be proprietary, but you might find a replacement by
Googling "Compaq Motherboard". A quick look at the Compaq site suggests that
the replacement cost for mobo and processor is $369.00. You'd then have to
remove all the old parts and install the new board and/or processor. Even if
you can find the parts cheaper, this may not be an economical choice.
You can buy a completely new Dell 3000 for $499.00, a Sempron (Less monitor)
from Tiger Direct for $299.00, or look at the Barebones kits.
I've purchased and/or installed about 30 Dells in the last two years, and
had only one problem which was resolved with a replacement PC in two days.
HP and Compaq are among my least favorite PCs, along with Emachines. Gateway
and Dell seem to do much better.
***************************

I have a CPAQ Presario Model 5WV294 which seems to have a dead CPU or
Motherboard. Machine does nothing when power turned on. Disconected all
hardware, drives, cards, memory except 1 known good stick...and still no
beeps at all. I checked HP's site and they list replacement items but there
very expensive and I would prefer purchasing a better processor at this
point. Could someone tell me a Good Quality Replacement for the CPU and
Motherboard... The Current Processor is an "AMD Athlon processor - 1.0GHz
(Thunderbird, 200MHz front side bus, PGA) - Includes active heat sink with
attached cooling fan " and the mother board is a CPAQ Model # 217155-002.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>