ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:46:19 -0600
Have you ever had that feeling in a church function?
my wife is fighting a cold, and I had gotten up early to go to a bible study
at the church for the first time on Saturday, then we went to a wedding that
afternoon, getting in late, but we got up to do our usual on Sunday morning.
We sniped at one another through breakfast and surprised the people around
us who are used to seeing us get along and just be the wonderful people we
truly are.
Then we got to church for the class we attend together and it didn't happen
because our teachers were out of town, so we sat in on the older adult
class.
I didn't know that it's focus wasn't marriage as well so when the man
started talking and asking questions, I started responding as we do in our
usual class.
We usually talk a lot and discuss, going off on tangents and exploring.
Well, I was cut off right away and told yes, that what I had to say was
connected but was not about the point he was wanting to talk about.
I kept my mouth shut after that and other's from my class tried to throw
stuff in but it was not received well either.
Maybe the lesson was a better appreciation for our class where we are
appreciated.
I consider myself pretty serious most of the time, but this class was
clearly only for the group who had been there a while and they threw around
these terms which they evidently stick to and which we had heard but we
don't use them to stop conversation and such as that.
I mean, that they knew the answers the teacher wanted, and that if they gave
those answers, that he would stop asking the questions.
The terms were things like, works, sanctification, salvation, grace, faith.
Faith and grace we are pretty clear on and works, I think is those things we
do visibly in the world.
Anyway, it just felt as though we weren't allowed into this club and we
weren't welcome.
Granted, we are the oldest in our group and the others are like teens and
early twenties and they are still kind of immature but I think the older
folks should know how to be polite.
We decided to sleep in this next Sunday and to wait until our teachers come
back.
That was just a bad day all the way around.

Matt