ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 15:55:58 -0700
Father To Everlasting Father

By Phil Scovell

     For several months, I felt the Holy Spirit trying to tell me
something but I could not put my spiritual finger on it.  I prayed
about it often, when it would come to mind, but I simply could not
isolate it.  It seemed related to my father.  He died when I was
11 years old.  Based upon all the healing I had experienced
concerning my fathers sudden death, I really didn't think there
were other places of healing which were important concerning my
relationship with him.  That was, however, exactly where the Lord
took me.

     The specific memory which came to mind wasn't an event but
just the image of my father.  At the time this happened, I was
praying with a lady and couldn't focus on the impression.  I tried
pushing it to the side, at least until after the prayer session,
but it kept reappearing in my thoughts and emotions.

     As the lady was in silence pondering, I quickly asked the
Lord what He was talking about.  He clearly said, "You are not
like your dad."  In two other vivid memories, the Lord had told
me, "You are not like them because you are like me now."

     As I grew, my mother had said hundreds of times, "you're
just like your dad," but she always meant it in a good sense.  I,
on the other hand, had said it to myself many times in a negative
sense.  My father was tormented with depression, inferiority, a
lack of self value, and the feeling he was not good enough and
that he wasn't going to make it.  I never saw any of this in
action as a child growing up but I clearly felt it at times.
Being a child, I could not discern the meaning of the feelings I
experienced so I dismissed them.  After his death, my mother let
me in on some of this information but even then, she left out a
lot of details.  It was in prayer sessions I discovered the lies
my father faced through his 46 years of life.

     As I was waiting for the lady to respond, I finally gave in
to the spiritual impressions I was feeling about my father.  I
told the Lord that I could see nothing out of place.  So, I asked
the Holy Spirit to show me the lie that I knew had to be there.
That was the exact moment when the Lord said, "You are not like
your dad."  I personally, and automatically, finished the
sentence, "Because I am like you now."  Peace and freedom filled
my memory and something else I would describe as relief.

     What are you feeling today?  Is it something you can't put
your finger on?  Is it painful or is it just a wound that won't go
away?  Are you afraid?  Do you feel guilty?  Look for the emotion
because that will lead you to the lie you believe.  why do you
believe the lie?  Because it feels true.  If you need help, call
me.

Safe Place Fellowship
Phil Scovell
Denver, Colorado
Mountain Time Zone
Phone:  303-507-5175
Web:  www.SafePlaceFellowship.com

Victory Isn't Something You Have; It Is Who You Are.
www.SafePlaceFellowship.com