ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:36:17 -0600
Here is a short one worth reading at least twice.

 The Lost Art of Thinking

For wisdom is protection just as money is protection. But the
advantage of  knowledge is that wisdom preserves the lives of its
possessors. Ecclesiastes 7:12

     Since wisdom requires thinking, it's an endangered species in
this  culture. It's too hard. It's much easier to just go along with
the herd.  Even King Solomon sought happiness in mere knowledge,
hobbies, possessions  and status before concluding that wisdom is of
greater value than them  all.

     In a word, Solomon stopped pursuing and started thinking.
Eventually he  saw the value of thinking seriously about life, and
viewing it through  God's eyes.

     When we become too fuzzy in our thinking to ask any profound
questions, we  search for happiness and significance in all the wrong
places. But, as  someone has said, we can live for a few minutes
without air, for a few  days without water, for a couple of months
without food-but for a lifetime  without an original thought.

     I'm starting to relearn the lost art of thinking right about
life. I've  decided to deliberately reflect on questions like these:

What do I really believe?
Why am I doing what I'm doing?
What really has brought satisfaction to my life?
What creates pressure for me?
And what does God want me to do about it?
How does my schedule reflect my ultimate values?
How will my present lifestyle affect my family in 20 years?
What does God want me to do with my life, my family and my
possessions?

     I'm learning that thinking can be gritty, lonesome work. God is
still in  the business of creating new original
thoughts...life-changing  ideas...innovations that will redirect our
families and shape the destiny  of our homes. I'm learning that real
thinking is a pioneering work.

     I'd like to encourage you to become an original thinker. Turn off
the TV,  the car radio, put down this book or your newspaper, and
ponder your life.  If you're like me, you'll find it's hard work. But
like a lot of hard  work, thinking and seeking wisdom has its rewards.

     Discuss: How does the pace of your life allow time for reflection
and  thinking? What answers would you give to some of the questions
above?

     Pray: That God will inspire you to think His thoughts and reflect
on His  ways, daring to approach life with creativity and original
thinking.

Excerpted from "Moments Together for Couples" by Dennis and Barbara
Rainey.  Used with permission. Copyright 1995 by Dennis and Barbara
Rainey. All  rights reserved.  To purchase the book,
visit:
http://www.familylife.com/1-800-358-6329/detail.asp?id=1170