ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:37:05 -0500
Phil,

Regarding Gretchen, I'm glad to see she is again turning to God with her
problems. I was concerned for this after she was released from the program
she was hooked up with, and seemed to have little support afterwards from
there, and then meeting up with street folks she knew. Although she was
indeed on fire as they say, for God and etc.  One can develop a sense of
uselessness or lack of focus when the plug is pulled from constant flow of
support, direction, helping others and applying God to life. Similar to
missionaries who come back and find themselves somewhat depressed and etc.
They are so focused on God and helping others that when they return to
normal daily life, there is a time to be aware of to debrief as it were.
This I think is a critical time. Hopefully Gretchen will decide to toss off
the enemy and all his lil tricks and begin to seek God's direction, begin a
project to focus on God for a greater cause then herself. Not that she in
no way would be doing God's will or behaving for the sake of others alone,
because that does not work, but indeed having  works towards helping others
out of the strength God gives you does help keep accountability, provides
need for daily word and application, and God will bless that. The saying
"if you are not evangelistic, you become cannibalistic" is true. That
doesn't mean one needs to be the world's all fire evangelist, it merely
says if you don't chew away on the wilds of the world, and your teeth have
nothing to do, they will chew on yourself, tend to eat away internally. I
still think Gretchen will be standing in front of many, giving a testimony
of her account, using the knowledge, wisdom and understanding she has of
the Word to help others mightily.

I've been praying for George and Vivian. George for strength because I know
that was not an easy decision and very likely was one made out of complete
desperation. I believe as well that despite Vivian's insistence to blame
George, she will still grab at straws and proclaim abandonment in a great
time of need. In other words, paint George in a corner to where there is no
coming out right anyway he turns. This is a very difficult spot for George
and Vivian as well. I'm supposing there is a great deep ceded guilt within
Vivian that prevents her from coming to grips with Jennifer's passing.
Nonetheless, yes it would be best if George and Vivian could face this all
together, as losing a child is meant to be the deepest grief one can
undergo, and the love that was shared to produce that child ought to be
present for the grieving of her as well. I pray Vivian find peace, release
the guilt present or whatever it is that holds her from grasping reality,
stop blaming anyone, herself, George, God, hospital workers, or whoever,
and just accept that Jennifer has been delivered into God's hands, and  she
lives on in the hearts of her mom and dad forever, which no one can take
away. George I know also needs strength and is in a very difficult spot.
Although for much different reasons, and not dealing with the loss of a
child, have been in a similar situation where you just feel trapped and no
way out, no matter what you do or say will be wrong and there seems to be
no good answer. Hopefully George will now be able to sort things out with
the help of friends and God and apply God's principles to the situation. I
suspect he'll undergo a bit more accusations from Vivian, and unfortunately
will be the target until Vivian decides to end this quest for justification
for the loss of Jennifer. Regardless whether Vivian ends targeting George
or not, he does not need to receive the hits. It can be tough to toss off
those hits, but just as we talked that if one is indeed in the will of God
and guided by the Holy Spirit, there is no guilt, nagging questioning, or
otherwise negative emotion or reaction as one can stand firm knowing we are
where God wants and we have his strength. Such is the case here as well.
George is not to blame for Jennifer's passing no more than Vivian's.

I also know that you and Sandy need prayer as you have much on your plate;
much I'm sure behind the scenes which add to the facets of it all. I pray
for strength and peace and joy in the midst of all that is going on.

Brad