ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ned Benton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:29:36 -0400
Have you ever had those times when it seemed you couldn't reach God with
your prayers nor feel His presence, a dry time?  Here is another of the
Campus Fellowship devotions.  I hope it helps you all.

Ned

CCF   Survival Guide
Tuesday  8/30/05
Faith, Not Feelings
"THE LORD HAS HIDDEN HIMSELF BUT I TRUST HIM."  ISAIAH 8:17 (TEV)

You wake up one morning and all your "spiritual feelings" are gone.  You
pray, but
nothing happens.  You rebuke the devil, but it doesn't change anything.  You
go through
spiritual exercises, have your friends pray for you, confess every sin you
can imagine,
then you go around asking forgiveness of everyone you know.  You fast, still
nothing.
You begin to wonder how long this spiritual gloom will last.  It feels like
your
prayers bounce off the ceiling.  In utter desperation you cry out: "What's
the matter
with me?"
Nothing!  This is a normal part of the maturing of our faith in God.  We all
go through
it!  It's painful, but absolutely vital to developing our faith.  God is
always present,
even when we are unaware of Him.  His presence is too profound to be
measured by
intellect or emotion.  He's more concerned that we trust Him, than that we
feel Him.
Faith, not feelings, is what pleases God.
So what can you do when you're going through a time when God seems distant?
Remind
yourself that He is not, regardless of your feelings.  Focus on God's
unchanging
love for you.  Cling to His promises.
During times of spiritual dryness, rely on God's Word, not your emotions.
Realize
that God is taking you to a deeper level of maturity.  Any friendship based
on emotion
is shallow indeed. So don't be troubled by trouble. God's grace is still in
full
force.  He's for you, even when you don't feel Him.