ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 15:10:50 -0600
Actually, there were just so many songs back during the late sixties and
early seventies which had lots of various meanings behind them.  Yes, I knew
what they meant then and I know what they mean now.  I still tune classic
rock FM stations and listen at different times but there are some of them I
refuse to listen to.  There were lots of songs about demonic stuff, the most
popular of course being Stairway To Heaven.  The point in my article, which
George proof read before I sent it to the list, was that George literally,
without knowing why, had learned a way of spiritually coping with situations
and circumstance he was unable to control.  Puff The Magic Dragon,
therefore, was used by the Enemy, not George, to deceive him.  Of course the
song is harmless on the surface but it does have meaning just like so many
other songs do, including Bridge Over Trouble Waters.  It's really too bad
that Simon and Garfuckle had to screw a great song up by implying drugs
could bridge the gap over troubled waters, or troubled times in a person's
life.  Would I listen to it if it came on the radio?  Probably, although I
never liked them all that much before, but I still know what they were
singing about.  Shoot, it was common knowledge and written up in rock
magazines what they were saying in there song when it came out and all my
dope buddies knew it already without hearing it from any magazine article.
According to the same mags, Paul, of PPM, was living with a 14 year old girl
when he supposedly became a born again Christian and started singing so
called Christian music he wrote.  Go figure.  I'm no saint and Grand Funk
Railroad is still my favorite rock band.  I wouldn't buy any of their old
recordings but I have heard them on the radio recently.  Mark, what's his
name, that was the lead singer claimed to be born again 15 or 20 years ago.
I recently heard him on a talk show and he was asked about that.  His
theology of being born again ain't nothing like I've ever read in the Bible.
Speaking of ruining something I thought was good!  Man!  He blew it for me.
Grand Funk is nothing but a memory for me now and just like Chicago, and
most other groups of the day, drugs and immorality was just a part of nearly
every song, not to mention a part of the groups daily life style.

Phil.