From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:12:18 -0400
Hi Keith.

There is a more compact approach that you could look at.  If you were to
cut a loop for around 3700 KHz, and you could devise some type of remote
switch to open the side opposite the feedpoint, you could create a halo
antenna for 160 meters.  The break in the far side would have to be large
enough to prevent arcing over from whatever RF voltages would be present at
the ends of the wire, but this would allow the antenna to be loaded as a
1/2 wave halo on 160 meters when the switch is open, and as a loop on 80
meters when it is closed.  If space is tight, that would definitely shrink
the size of the antenna.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 06:05 PM 9/30/2005 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi Chris,
>
>Thanks for your comments.
>
>Was hoping I may have been able to use the same loop on top band and
>80 but seems not.
>
>Perhaps back to my doublet then.  Would have to bend the ends round a
>bit but that will do both bands, fed with open wire and a ballanced
>tuner.
>
>Thanks again for your comments.
>

>On 30 Sep 2005 at 11:58, Christopher Moore wrote:
>
> > Keith,
> > Several years ago I had a 160 meter loop up in some trees around my
> > property.  The average height was around 15 feet, but the antenna
>performed
> > reasonably well on top band.  Unfortunately it was less than
>satisfactory
> > on 80 meters.
> >

> > Much will depend on the finguration of your property and available
> > supports.  The 160 loop is around 560 feet around, so you would
>need a
> > square with 140 feet on a side.  For 80 meters, you'd probably do
>well with
> > a dipole if you could get it up high enough.
> >
> > Good luck
> > 73
> > Chris w1gm
>

>Keith