From:
Christopher Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:43:29 -0400
>     How do you get Norton Ghost?  Is it free, or do you have to buy it?
A free version of norton ghost is often included with motherbnoards and /or
pre-built computers.  It runs in dos or command mode.  Of course there is a
nonfree version which is more powerful and works over networks.
Of course the cleanest way to save important files is to keep them in
specific folders separate from your software and burn them on to a cd
periodically.  Even if you invest in a backup program, you probably also
need to buy an external hard drive large enough to accommodate an image of
your operating system.  The external drive would also work as a place to
save copies of personal files.

You still need to keep copies of your software discs.  While the system
backup image could be used to recover from a hard drive failure, it might
not suffice in the event of a fried motherboard.  If you neede to replace
your motherboard, chances are that you'd end up with a newer board with
different chipsets and processor.  Restoring a system onto a new hardware
configuration would either not work or be subject to crashes until
compatible drivers were installed.

In short, my choice for personal use is to make periodic copies of personal
files to CD or an external drive.  If your hardware fails, you'll more than
likely will end up with different replacement hardware which equates to a
complete reinstall of your os and application software.

Chris