From:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 06:57:10 -0700
Hi All,

My wife, Kathy and I, are blessed to be able to travel to Sweden leaving a
week from tomorrow with a stop on the east coast of the U.S.  I am taking my
Kenwood TS-480 and an MP-1 antenna with me but am also taking my TH-F6A in a
hope to be able to visit on VHF or UHF with local hams in the area.  In
fact, I have been in contact with the president of the local club in the
primary city where we are staying and have a lot of information from him.

So, here are my questions to those of you who may live in Europe or who
might have visited with a radio.  What I need to know is the nuts and bolts
of operating my handheld on European repeater systems that require the 1750
Hz tone at the beginning of each transmission.  I looked at the manual and
it appears I can set the call button on the key pad to send this tone when
pressed without pushing the PTT switch and then can set it to have the
transmitter hold for 2 seconds afterwards.  So, I assume I would press this
button, transmit the tone and while the transmitter remains keyed I would
press the PTT switch.  Is this correct or is there something else I need to
do in there?  Anything else, other than the band plans which I already have,
that I ought to know about operating in Europe?  For those of you near Heath
Rowe in the UK, is there a repeater I can key from within the airport
buildings as I transition through from British Air to SAS?

I think that's all the questions for now.  Thanks much and very 73.

Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX
Navy Marine Corps MARS:  NNN0SHS