From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 23:45:17 -0400
Hi to all.

Well, I found out about one of the failure modes for the GAP Titan the hard
way.  Seems that we had a nearby lightning hit, and it appears that the
capacitor that provides the loading on 75 meters popped, altering the SWR
curves on 30, 17, and 10 meters as well.  The antenna still operates on40,
20, 15, and 12 meters.

Cost of the replacement parts is $18 plus the time of myself and one other
person to haul it down and work on it.  I'm quite sure that this wasn't a
direct hit as there is no sign of damage in any of the associated cabling,
so I suspect that the damage occurred from a strong induced EMF pulse
rather than a direct strike.

73, de Lou K2LKK

P.S.  I found 6technical support at GAP Antenna Products to be quite helpful.

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Work e-mail:  [log in to unmask]