From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:30:32 -0400
Hi Tom.

You just don't understand.  There is a benefit to having an essentially
uneducated population--they are far more easily led and controlled.  Ham
radio is just another extension of the "dumb down everything" philosophy
that rules the American education system, and in the 4end it serves those
who would control very well.  A sound and stringent education system is the
best guardian of freedom there is.  I know this is a little off topic, but
surely you don't expect amateur radio to be the exception to the rule, when
you don't even need to know how to read or do basic math to get out of high
school.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 05:57 PM 7/30/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Colin, the problem isn't with people's knowledge or lack there of in the
>use of
>Morse.  The problem is that with scaling down amateur requirements until they
>essentially become little more than a joke even for hf use people will just go
>take their tech tests and be ready to go.  At least when there was some
>minimal
>code requirement in places there had to be a bit of work put forth to get a
>license above a straight tech to use any hf.  Of course, times used to be that
>code was required to get on the air at all which I think was a bit much but
>simply doing away with it seems a slap in the face to amateurs.  As to what
>governments do, don't even try and use that excuse lest we need to look at the
>actions of governments from World War II through today.  The general
>population
>was not the ones who decided to have no code and certainly hams were not the
>ones who made that decision.
>
>Tom
>

>Tom Brennan  KD5VIJ, CCC-A/SLP
>web page http://titan.sfasu.edu/~g_brennantg/sonicpage.html