From:
Kevin Kwan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:33:04 -0400
I'm not sure what the original intention of echolink was. I was unaware of
such. Before I was brought on to that system, my understanding of it was
that it was a mixture of voip communication with repeaters and link systems,
I.E. simplex and some hf frequencies, combined with voip so one can access
all of these things threw the computer. Such as hf gate ways created for one
to access the various bands and modes remotely. Of course, direct
connections using voip is much easier since you're able to find users on
line. But that of course isn't radio communicating and other than
communicating with hams, there hardly any resemblance as far as the
technicalities are concerned. For it's no different from land line, give or
take of course.