From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 07:15:54 -0600
an inexpensive 4 inch computer fan should do the trick nicely.  Remember,
dont put the fan directly over where the finals are actually located since i
have found with some radios this causes some amount of buzzing in the
transmitted audio...but, if the fan is about an inch away from the heat sink
on some sort of bracket or on some feet on top of or just behind the radio,
then it should keep things rather cool.
Check around for a silent or low noise fan since a fan constantly going,
even a quiet one in a shack can become an irritant...as i have found with
the TM V7A having the fan turn on everytime the PTT  is pressed and staying
that way for some time.
The thing is, that little 1.5 inch fan or however big it is hardly cools
anything down so it has to run constantly for a while even after you have
done transmitting on 5 watts.
guess thats the price you pay for having small heat sink areas.
If its at all possible, i would actually start looking around for a
camercial rig off ebay for a relatively cheap price perhaps one of those 1
or 4 channel radios which can transmit all day on 25 watts and stay fairly
cool.
Specifically motorola being  the first choice.

73
Colin, V A6BKX