From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jun 2005 00:31:49 -0600
yep, check out
http://www.mods.dk
there is a very discriptive modification explanation on there...rather easy
to do too...you can actually get that radio to transmit 136-174, 400-470 and
receive 118-174, 300 something or other to 512 and also receive in the
800-999 mhz band as well, of course, all sell frequencies as well.
Basically all it is is playing around with some 0 ohm resisters, more or
less just jumpers, five of them, and depending on which jumpers are in and
which are out will give you varried results...the explanation on mods.dk
goes through all combinations and you can decide which combination is best
for you.
You can set it up for stock ham band, or camercial plus ham band or extra
800-999 receive or several other different and interesting combinations.
The nice thing about modifying the tm V7a is that the modification is
confined to the one board and only 5 easily manipulated resisters that can
be easily put back in or a solder blob put on between the contacts to put
the rig back to stock.
Of course, these are surface mount resisters so unless you are very good
with tweezers or a fine tipped soldering iron or have a bit of site might be
a bit of a challenge to manipulate the components.  I think for the basic
mod of opening up transmit from 136-174 and 400-470 is just removing 2 of
the resisters...and they are very easy to find acording to the explanation
and the order from left to right is given...a matter of counting them and
pinching them off the board probably.
I of course have to say proceed at your own risk and this will of course
void any worantee the radio may have had, but ive heard allot of hams say
that the mod was great and had no ill affects on the rig what so ever.  I
imagine sensativity out of band and power loss are givens but they are
likely minimal.
If you do the mod let us know how it turns out and any interesting tips you
might have as far as a more thorough explanation for those of us who are
totally blind and wish to do the mod.  Things like precisely where the
components are located, references to things near by to give better
environment and make it easier to find...ways of taking the resisters off
the board and so on.  The explanation on mods.dk refers to a spring and
gives directions to find the resisters near the spring on the board just
behind the front face plate.

Have fun.
73
V A6BKX