Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 23 Jul 2005 01:04:53 -0700
7BIT
From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
  There are a variety of small firewall appliances on the market which can
comfortably go between the DSL modem and the switch and thus protect yout
entire network.  I'm partial to the NetScreen 5 series, but at about $250
you may find them more than you need or can afford.
  Do you need to host a public-facing Internet server in your office?  If
not, the SMC Barricade line may be a better fit.

David Gillett

On 22 Jul 2005 at 8:54, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I have a small 10 user Novell 6.0 network. Until now we used dial up
> modem's from each unit. Each unit has it's local install of Pegasus
> email, Firefox, IE, Netscape with Zonealarm Pro and Norton
> Antivirus and spyware protection's Etc. None of this is installed on
> the network server. We are now moving to Sprint DSL. Sprint gave
> us a Sprint 645 series DSL modem without any Hard firewall
> protection. I had them bring the DSL phoneline to my area and used
> their Cat5 cable to my Netgear Ethernet Switch model FS309T.
> Then setup our IP address over my LAN connection. Novell found
> my IP and an allowing Zonealarm access to the new network. This
> gave me DSL on my unit and automatically linked all the other units.
> This saved me from 2 NIC per unit with double LAN wiring.
>
> My problem is what type of Hard firewall should I purchase? How do
> I protect my Server network? No need for protection software on
> server without any internet access programs or PC anywhere
> installed?? If I add a firewall between the modem and switch would
> that protect me? Should I consider running all of this thru my server
> with different user profiles. Advantage central update protection.
> However each unit would have to be logged into the network for
> DSL. I perfer running each unit separated. Thanks in advance for
> any advice.
>
> Richard Bolha

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads