ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 1 Oct 2005 16:00:05 -0500
Sharon,

Looking at the link Phil sent, yes it is one of media that is  fed into
your computer over the  internet, otherwise known as streaming media, as
oppose to you playing an mp3 file that is located or stored on your
computer's hard disc. And as you noted you have dial up, that is the
problem. Dial up connections do not stream such media very well. They start
downloading, load it into a buffer area, when enough is loaded in the
buffer, then the player will begin to play it while the rest of the file
continues to stream or download off the net. The problem is that dial up
can't download the file as fast as Winamp or any other player can play it,
so it will stop and wait for the buffer to be filled again, and then play
it a bit more and so on. The only way to avoid this is to download the file
you want to as an mp3 file, but many places will not let you do this, the
only other solution is to buy DSL connection if you want to listen to
streaming files or feeds. If you don't need or want to do that, then you
are sort of limited. Not everyone can get DSL either unfortunately as you
need to be a certain distance from a substation or feed. Cable connection
will also stream such media in appropriately as DSL will. Hope I didn't
confuse you. It isn't easy to understand unless you've  been an adventurous
surfer *smile*.

Brad