From:
kieran or donna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
kieran or donna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 13:23:33 -0500

Since some of you have trouble with the diarrhea lingering or hitting now and then for no apparent reason, maybe this weird bit of info from some "normals" could help.  I had to travel for a CEU class, and took food along for the first 2 days.  With much trepidation I ate a salad at a resturant the 3rd day, and spent the next entire day in pain and running to the bathroom every hour.  Two people out of the mere dozen ther for the class asked me what kind of lettuce was in my salad.  The first time, I was very puzzled and asked why they wanted to know.   They both said that iceburg lettuce tore their guts up.  These people did not know each other and didn't know that the other asked me about it.  My reaction was not at all a typical gluten reaction, which tends to be a pretty quick clenched stomach and a bit of inflammation the next day or two.  Certainly there was nothing apparent what I ate to account for the reaction, only minute traces of gluten if any.  (A year or two back I ate a quarter peice of bread just to see what my reaction had become, no reaction at all till 2 days later when my knees felt swollen and my hands hurt, that scared me as I would prefer an immediate reaction. )
    We don't eat a lot of lettuce as I don't like buying green leafy veggies that have been sprayed, and we can't grow lettuce in this climate all the year.  So gradually, over the last year or so, I had begun wondering if I had trouble with lettuce.  I just have noticed that I tend to get gut trouble after I eat lettuce, but not every time.  Some of you may be eating a lot of salads and thus don't know whether lettuce is getting you or not.  I happen to know that there is a fluoride based insecticide that is NOT approved for lettuce that tears up the guts of caterpillars and presumably of humans.  Is it possible that here and there among the lettuce going through the channels of commerce there are some batches that have been sprayed with this stuf?  I would say not only possible, but inevitable.  When desperate, some farmers will resort to anything to save a crop.  And every gardener knows that iceberg lettuce is the hardest one to grow.      Donna