Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:45:33 -0700

First, I'd like to emphasize that no where in my post did I advise anyone to
do anything.  My post was simply what I stated in the subject line, a
personal view.  It was not a directive!

I received about 16 responses from people who hold similar views.

I heard from one person who said that she nearly died 14 years ago until she
was taken off 9 medications that contained gluten.  My guess is, that it
wasn't only the gluten that was killing her!  That many meds could nearly
kill a horse!  Anyway, I'm glad she's better, but emphasize that this
happened a long time ago before there was a lot of gluten awareness among
physicians & pharmacists.

Times have changed.  For example, when I was first diagnosed four years ago,
my doctor wrote "gluten free" on my prescriptions at my request as HE wasn't
aware of the level of sensitivity in celiacs.  When I presented the script
to my pharmacist, he asked, "What's gluten?" and had never heard of celiac
disease.  Contrast that to a more recent event when I presented a new script
for levothyroixine to a different pharmacist.  I told him I had celiac
disease.  He said that he knew it was safe because he had already checked it
out!  He then directed me to a website for the gluten status of medications!
  What a contrast!  (Don't ask for the website.  You can find several
similar sites with a web search.)

One respondant told me that her pharmacist recently told her that she
needn't worry about it anymore except to gently remind pharmacists that she
has celiac because now all prescription meds are GF except for a few which
are clearly labeled to contain gluten.

One person told me they have reacted to gluten in OTC cough drops & sore
throat medications.  I guess I've been lucky to avoid that because I haven't
needed any of those items since going GF.

I received another response from someone who found that a certain numbered
lot of Ambien was made with gluten several years ago, but that all Ambien is
now GF.  (Ambien is now on several GF lists.)

Two people said they reacted to antibiotics.  Unless they know it contained
gluten, I'm not convinced that it was a gluten reaction.  Antibiotics give
nearly every one that uses them diarrhea & a case of dysbiosis complete with
a yeast infection which can cause horrid diarrhea, gas & bloating.

Based on my personal experience and the experience of many trusted celiac
friends, my personal view remains the same: avoiding gluten in medications
is simple.

Valerie in Tacoma