From:
Rebecca Markle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 1995 21:46:18 -0500

On Mon, 6 Mar 1995, Debra Hindes (617) 270-1690 wrote:

> Hi, my name is Debra Hindes, and I live in eastern Massachusetts, USA.
> Am 39 years old, and was diagnosed w/celiac sprue 6 years ago.  My doctor
> told me it would be perfectly okay to "cheat" on the diet once in a
> while.  Whenvever I've tried, however, I've reacted within a few hours
> with violent vomiting.  It's been very effective as aversive
> conditioning, but I don't understand how my body can reject gluten before
> it ever reaches the small intestine.  Any ideas?

Hi, Debra!  This is my first few days here, also, & my whole family has
quick vomit reflex, but I'm the only one who pursued the diagnosis...in
fact, I'm considered asymptomatic for diarrhea...I figure it's got to get
out one end or another, so why not out the way it came in....seriously, I
wonder if the time interval is due to gluten getting into the
bloodstream, doing something in the liver, then causing the auto-immune
response in the small intestine, rather than a direct, topical effect.

But I have to confess, I really don't know...just something to think
about.

Bec Markle
Erie, PA (no group here either)