From:
Laurie Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:19:38 EDT

We just returned from Alexandria Virginia and based on a number of
recommendations tried the Austin Grill. Unfortunately, it was a huge  disappointment.
Although we were handed a gluten free menu by the host, our  server was
completely unfamiliar with it. The manager showed little knowledge,  but at our
request changed our server to one with more experience. He assured me  that my meal
would be completely safe. Although it clearly stated on the GF menu  that the
sour cream should be eliminated, there was a large glob of sour cream  on my
plate. Our server insisted that the GF menu was mistaken and that his word
(that all sour cream was gluten free because it never had wheat in it) should be
 taken over the menu. Obviously, he was a Celiac "expert."

At that point, I had no confidence that I could be sure that my meal would
be gluten free and returned it. My husband completed his food. Before leaving,
I  expressed my dissatisfaction to the manager, who found excuse after excuse
for  the foul-up. If you choose to eat at the Alexandria Austin Grill, BE
CAREFUL.